Monday, December 15, 2008

The best laid plans...

i'm stuck at home.  i'm worried about my chickens.  i waited for the bus at a stop that no longer exists (temporarily).  it really is a good thing i like being at home but right now my mood is sour.

To work half a day, i need two hours commute time each way.  If i want to be home before dark i need to leave by...  (let me calculate)... 8 am.  Hey, i can do that.  i need to feed the chickens before i leave and that gives me about 1/2 hour of daylight.

This is my first winter with chickens and i feel so blessed so far.  The girls are healthy and seem happy but it is COLD out and will remain so for a week solid.  Now, i know chickens live in cold climates but i just don't have the experience that years of raising them brings.  For the next week i need to take care of my girls and get to work as efficiently as possible.

i've re-checked the bus schedule and and made a new plan (Stan).  i like having a plan.  i feel better when i have a plan.  i don't like it when things interfere with my plan.  i was sick with a headache last week; that f**ked with my plans.  Just when i am recovering the weather starts in, i had to figure out a way to heat the coop for more than a night or two.

i'm actually proud of the heater my son and i came up with and since i'm home for the day, i'm going to tweak it again.  And i am going to go get a higher wattage bulb (if i have the nerve to drive my car), that and some straw.  i need more straw.  i thought i had enough but...

Need to run.  Back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment